April 17, 2015
One of the best things about the snow melting and the evenings getting warmer is the chance to bust out your BBQ and get grilling. In this article we want to cover what it takes to grill up the best burger you have ever tasted!
When a burger is grilled right you know it. The perfect char on the outside and the juicy flavour on the inside is all it takes to make you and your family coming back for more.
Here are 7 steps to creating the best burger:
- Season the meat beforehand. You can use a mixture of dried herbs and spices to get the flavours of your beef tasting great. Here’s a tip, though – go easy on the salt! The salt will actually extract moisture from the meat, which is not what you want when looking for that juicy patty.
- Let the flavours mingle. Make sure to prepare your patties well before you plan on cooking them and stack them in the refrigerator (separated by wax paper) for several hours. We recommend making them in the morning if you want to grill them in the evening. This way your flavours get the whole day to mix and mingle into that perfect combination.
- Get the thickness right. A well-formed patty should be about ¾ of an inch thick. Making them thinner or thicker than that may take away from the flavours you are going for.
- Heat the grill first. You don’t want your burgers to start cooking while the grill is still warming up. Make sure to give your grill a 5 or 10 minute head start so that when you slap on those patties the grill is reading to start cooking.
- Turn them once and leave them. While it’s tempting to check on your burgers more than once, the key to really cooking a nice, juicy burger is to leave them alone and only turn them once. Don’t flatten them with your spatula either because then all those yummy juices will come out.
- Add the sauce and melt the cheese. When the burgers are almost done you will want to add your secret sauce – BBQ, soy, teriyaki, etc – and melt the cheese – Cheddar, Brie, Goat, Gorgonzola, etc. This will help pack in even more flavours and get those taste buds watering.
- Don’t forget the toppings. When the burgers finally come off the grill don’t forget to add all of those delicious toppings. This is the time to add ketchup, mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and anything else you can think of. Harness your inner Picasso and go nuts creating this work of art.
Hungry yet? Nothing says spring and summer like a beautifully grilled burger. These are just 7 steps to help get you on your way.